A fantastic opportunity to lead one of the UK’s leading Business Improvement Districts (BID) in a capital city has arisen and we are seeking an ambitious person to drive it forward.
FOR Cardiff, Wales’s capital city and the 6th biggest BID in the UK, are looking for a Chief Executive to lead the internationally award winning organisation which is in its seventh year. Heading a team of 14, the role will be to strategically lead the delivery of the projects in the 5 year Business Plan which fall under the Enhance, Deliver and Represent headings and ensure that we deliver high quality projects demanded by our levy payers. A dynamic and forward thinking organisation which supports 1000 businesses, this is a wonderful opportunity for those currently in senior roles in placemaking or similar to make a real difference in a vibrant, fast growing, resilient city.
If you feel that you are ready to take on this exciting role and are interested in finding out more please look at the attached job description and person specification as well as the website www.forcardiff.com and social media accounts. For an informal, confidential conversation please call Executive Director Adrian Field on 07956 816696. Please send in your CV and a covering letter outlining why your skills and experience are suitable for the job based on the job description and which should be no more than 2 sides of A4 to email@example.com . The deadline for applications is 11pm on Wednesday 22nd February and the first round of interviews is likely to take place on Tuesday 28th February.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Chief Executive
Responsible to: Chair and Board of Directors
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday (occasional evening and weekend work may be required)
Based: FOR Cardiff offices, 7 St. Andrew’s Crescent, Cardiff, CF10 3DA
Salary: £70,000 depending on experience + KPI linked bonus of up to 4% of salary
Annual Leave: 25 days (with extra following long service starting after 3 years) plus bank holidays
Other Benefits: Optional private healthcare, (non-contractual) access to company shared Laguna Pool & Gym passes, cycle to work scheme
Term: Fixed term to November 2026 but to be renewed subject to a successful ballot outcome
To provide strategic leadership and management of FOR Cardiff, working in association with Business Improvement District (BID) levy payers, city centre partners and stakeholders. The Chief Executive will ensure that the Business Plan is delivered in a professional, transparent and cost effective manner. To be flexible and adaptable in approach and in line with running a successful, high-profile organisation.
FOR Cardiff is one of the biggest BIDs in the UK serving 1000 commercial properties and with an annual levy income of over £1.4 million. In the second year of its second five year term, it aims to improve the trading conditions and environment for its levy payers by delivering numerous projects determined by the businesses through consultation under three headings: Enhance, Deliver and Represent. Further details are available at www.forcardiff.com
- Lead and manage the business in a strategic and innovative way
- Formulate strategies and delivery plans for all strands of the FOR Cardiff Business Plan
- Deliver to a high standard, the projects and services set out in the Business Plan and to maintain and further develop a positive climate within which local and national business stakeholders will ultimately endorse the continuation of the BID after its initial 5 year period
- Support the Chair and Board of Directors, engaging and collaborating with them regularly and to ensure that the Board operates effectively and efficiently
- Direct and manage the BID contracts, commitments and baseline statements
- Develop and implement a communications strategy to regularly engage and inform levy payers of BID progress
- Act as the champion for the BID and its businesses and be the main Company point of contact for matters relating to the BID area through media interviews, proactive written commentary on relevant matters, responding to scrutiny and lobbying various public and private agencies
- Develop and manage strategic and operational relationships with the key stakeholders involved in the city centre, in particular levy payers, local authorities, police and third party service providers
- Deliver the KPIs set out in the Business Plan to the satisfaction of the BID Board
- Ensure the proper and effective operation and development of the BID company in accordance with the constitution
- Work with Cardiff Council to ensure prompt, efficient collection and payment of the annual BID levy
- Ensure effective governance of the company and its work, including compliance procedures, legislation, data protection, risk management and Health & Safety
- Continue to secure non levy income through private sector involvement, sponsorship and contributions
- Implement and manage effective procedures and processes to monitor the success and value of BID projects and services, ensuring credible and tangible evidence is available for the BID Board and levy payers
- Financial management – with support from contracted accountants, ensure sound budgetary management, expenses and ensure compliance with proper financial controls and procedures.
- Organise BID Board meetings alongside the Chair, as well as any sub-Committees, ensuring that agendas and papers are correctly sent out in an appropriate and timely manner, and that Terms of Reference, membership and their frequency are well managed
- Lead, manage, motivate and develop the FOR Cardiff team including recruitment, training, development and appropriate succession planning
- The postholder will need to be flexible and adaptable in their approach and duties. As well as the above, you will be expected to carry out any other reasonable activities as required by the FOR Cardiff board
Required Education and Experience
- Qualified to degree level in Business Management, Place Management, Marketing or equivalent
- Strategic and delivery experience at a senior level within a Place Management or large commercial environment – an understanding and working knowledge of city centre issues is required
- Financial management, budget management and reporting of finances at a senior level
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of both public and private sector activities in city centres
- Experience of successfully leading, managing and motivating people
- Effective presentation of Strategic and Operational planning to positively engage key audiences
- Experience of developing and proposing business cases to a Board / Senior Management
- Working knowledge of company and financial legislation in relation to limited companies would be an advantage
- Excellent IT and Project Management skills – ability to use and adapt a variety of IT/ office based applications
- Senior level experience in Marketing, Communications, Event Management, City Centre Management would be an advantage
- Knowledge and experience of the dynamics affecting the retail, leisure, office, public and other sectors that have an interest in the city centre.
Necessary Personal Attributes
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with a diverse set of partners
- Forward thinking and passionate individual bringing fresh thinking and innovation to the role
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- High level of confidence and gravitas, strong influencing and diplomacy skills with a can-do attitude
- Demonstrable commitment to providing an exceptional customer service culture
- Professional and personable, with an ability to connect and engage at all levels
- Excellent leadership and motivational skills
- Energetic, enthusiastic and adaptable
- An ability to prioritise and remain focused; to organise workloads effectively
- Ability to engage and quickly establish productive working relationships at all levels
FOR Cardiff is an equal opportunities employer and we encourage people from all sections of the community to apply for this role.