New research released today to mark World Refill Day (16th June 2022), suggests that the cost-of-living crisis is making it harder for consumers to make sustainable purchasing decisions and avoid single-use plastic, despite this still being a concern for 95% of people surveyed. In fact;
- 50% of Brits say they are doing less to reduce single-use plastic (than six months ago) as a direct result of the increase in cost of living.
- Cost is now the most important factor in purchasing decisions for 52% of Brits, but a huge 95% of people surveyed say they are still concerned about plastic pollution.
- A massive 93% would like to see more refill and reuse options available, but 34% make it clear that using them would depend on their cost.
In response, local independent businesses are using #WorldRefillDay to highlight the cost-effective ways to shop plastic-free in Cardiff.
- Find Free Drinking Water, Anywhere in Cardiff. Download the free Refill app to find over 1,800 businesses accepting reusables and providing free tap water refills in Wales. Refill stations offering free tap water in Cardiff include museums, bars, galleries, and supermarkets as well as smaller, family businesses, local cafes and restaurants like ‘I want to ride my bike cafe’ on Park Place.
- Grab a Takeaway Cup. Takeaway coffees can cost up to 30% less if you bring your own reusable cup. Big brands like Costa, M&S and Starbucks offer a 25p discount. In Cardiff, independent coffee shops accepting reusables and offering a discount including Waterloo Tea in Wyndham Arcade who offer a generous 50p discount.
- Get Spicy. Herbs and spices can be considerably cheaper at your local zero waste shop. Clancy’s in Cardiff Market offer an array of herbs and spices that you can buy by weight so bring a long your jars and canisters and save.
- Live Life on the Veg. Look for local alternatives to shopping at the supermarket. Cardiff Market has everything under one roof – from green grocers to fish sellers and butchers. You can buy the exact amount you need, reducing waste and saving on your weekly shop.
- Clean Smarter. Items like washing up liquid or laundry detergent are often the same price or less when purchased in your local zero waste shop. You can also get a FREE Ecover Refill on World Refill Day (June 16th)! Pop into your local store selling Ecover refills and scan the QR code at the tills to claim your free refill. Beanfreaks in Royal Arcade is one local business in Cardiff city centre that stock Ecover along with a range of household items.
City to Sea, the organisation behind World Refill Day, says it is completely unfair that consumers are feeling forced to dial back on their ethics in the face of the cost-of-living crisis.
Natalie Fee, founder of City to Sea said:
“We know that the public still care about plastic pollution and want to do more, but we need all of the big brands, businesses & retailers to take action by reducing their use of single-use packaging and investing in reuse and refill systems. And we need governments around the world to hold them to account”.
“We urgently need to shift from our disposable, single-use culture to a more sustainable, circular future, with reuse & refill at the centre. The good news is, we already have the tools we need to change the world, and as independent businesses in Cardiff are demonstrating today, a reusable future is possible!”